Tailored Bank Governance Program for Board of Directors
Boards’ ability to adequately guide and control their institution has been severely challenged by the crisis. In a rapidly changing economic and regulatory environment, bank boards are under scrutiny as never before from supervisors, shareholders and rating agencies.
This unique custom-made, in-boardroom program for bank directors is designed to:
- Improve the board’s ability to take strategic decisions and oversee the risk appetite and profile of the institution.
- Increase the bank’s ability to adhere to governance best practice while addressing all its cultural and economic specificities.
- Enhance the board’s efficiency and effectiveness in its functioning and decision making.
- Strengthen specific bank governance knowledge within the spectrum of corporate governance to risk governance.
Members of your board will:
- Get a practical understanding of global governance best practice—and its relationship to performance
- Learn through case studies how others address the specific challenges they face
- Improve their capacity to use limited time to maximum benefit, to actively engage with fellow board members and to constructively challenge management through interactive training methods
- Meet increasingly strict fit-and-proper criteria of supervisors as well as stakeholder expectations of board member competence and independence
This development program is custom-made for board members of individual banks. Based on the client’s preference, very senior executives can also be included.
The program is conducted in English. Based on client preference, the program can be supplemented with selective interpretation to accommodate those who may need a firmer grasp with technical vocabulary or concepts.
Upon completion of the Program, members of your board will be presented with a certificate evidencing compliance with director training requirements imposed by certain regulators.
The expert faculty will be selected from our pool of seasoned banking governance experts who have a long proven track record of practitioner experience.
After completing the program, directors will possess a number of governance-related tools:
- A set of accessible best-practice materials for bank corporate and risk governance
- A checklist, identifying key issues and questions that bank directors need to address
- A comprehensive study of corporate governance trends and practices of the largest European banks
An “à la carte” curriculum, tailored to your institution
By selecting the key topics to address on corporate and risk governance matters, the client defines the modular curriculum that best fits its bank’s board. IIF-NA will reflect the specific requests, customizing the case studies and interactive part of the course, while carefully reviewing disclosures and bank documentation. To allow for complete tailoring, there will follow surveys and/or interviews with the bank’s top executives and board members.
Modules will be delivered in an interactive fashion that allows two-way sharing of insights and comments between the speakers and the participants. Minimum time will be devoted to lectures to allow ample use of case studies, hypothetical and other proven practical learning methods.
Depending on client’s needs, this may be a one or two-day program. A dinner on the eve of the program is optional but highly recommended, as it helps ‘break the ice’ and serves as a fine-tuning opportunity for participants to directly give feedbacks to the speakers.
Cost and Location
- Program fee varies, depending on the client’s requirements and length. Please email us for further information.
- Location: In-house or at a venue of the client’s choice